Sick... ~ theatre notes

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Sick...

I just woke up from a dream in which I lived in an apartment with a huge hexagonal front room, each wall of which was a window. All the blinds were up and the lights were blazing, and a massive crowd of people - including a former arts editor of the Age, Jason Romney (hi Jason, and what the hell are you doing in my dream?) - was hanging out there. Some of them were showing me an avant garde theatre piece that involved sushi. The sushi probably represented my brain, fresh and dead.

I feel so crappy that I don't think it's tension or tiredness or overwork any more. The nice blond osteo ironed out my spine and exposed what was lurking underneath the rocks, some sort of moray eel, slow and ugly. For the record, I've cancelled two shows already this week - Red Stitch's The Pain and the Itch and The Itch's premiere production of Catalpa. I dropped out of the critic's panel of The Emerging Writers Festival this afternoon, and the chances of my making it to the second last performance tonight of This Is For You at La Mama just fell to zero. Ming's review makes me feel sorrier that I'm missing it, but I think I've just got to face what I can't do and hide under the covers. Thanks to the well wishers, and I swear on my boots I'll be doing all I can to get well soon. Like sleeping. And right now I'm just going to pull the blinds down.

4 comments:

TimT said...

Red Stitch, the Pain and the Itch, The Itch...

A good thing you missed out on those. They all sound like they'd give audience members a case of eczema to enjoy.

Your dream could very well be an avant garde experiment in subliminal theatre performance: artists implant the suggestion for the dream in your head by the day, and you enjoy the results at night. While I found your review of this cutting-edge dramatic form insightful and stimulating, I am still left to wonder - is it worth paying the money for? And does it comment on the current political situation?

Yours sincerely, if not at all clearly, Tim T

Anonymous said...

Hi Alison,

The "nice blond osteo" sounds cute.

Did they save the eel? :-}

Anonymous said...

Hi Alison, how strange I should figure in your dream at all after all these years. Hope you are well. Warm wishes, Jason

Alison Croggon said...

Thanks all - Tim, I did see that odd euphonia, and perhaps I should have noted it as a bad sign when I was doing my diary - and yes, Troubadour, I see most handsome and apt osteopaths, with very healing hands. Still battling with my body though. I won't bore you with the details, but I'm beginning to understand Coleridge's laudanum habit. And lovely to hear from you, Jason. I hope all is rather better with you than it is with me!